British mercenary captured in Ukraine, Dane details murder of Russian prisoners — RT EN

15 Apr 2022 9:54 pm

The topic of foreigners – whether Western emissaries, volunteers or mercenaries from the West or elsewhere – who entered Kiev’s service and fought as advisers, specialists or soldiers against the troops of Russia and militias of the two People’s Republics of Donetsk and Lugansk is in everyone’s mind mouth.

It was not until April 8 that the Russian Ministry of Defense drew attention to the fact that radio messages had been intercepted and that people from at least six countries were active in Mariupol. According to some reports, more than 200 foreign mercenaries had fought on the Ukrainian side in Mariupol, as Ramzan Kadyrov recently pointed out, citing the testimony of a captured Ukrainian nationalist informed. Military spokesman General Igor Konashenkov stated at the press briefing on April 9 on this subject:

“Intercepted radio messages show that in the occupied areas of the city there are a significant number of foreign mercenaries in addition to Nazis from the Azov battalion and remnants of the Ukrainian armed forces. In addition to Ukrainian and Russian, radio communication takes place in six other, mostly European, languages.

It is obvious that it is not the protectors of so-called European values ​​that are blocked in the city, but foreign mercenaries – who have come to kill Slavs for US dollars behind a human shield of civilians.”

Just a few days earlier, on April 6, a former member of the Danish armed forces gave an interview to the Danish media outlet TV2. According to the mercenary, known only as “Jonas” (name changed by TV2), he saw with his own eyes how troops loyal to Kyiv had murdered Russian prisoners of war. He himself denied any involvement in the murders. TV2 claims to know his true identity and to have seen evidence that he is actually in Ukraine and that he is currently a member of the Ukrainian army. It is not the first time that “Jonas” is fighting in a trouble spot; It is not stated whether he had previously also been involved in combat operations as a volunteer or mercenary, or only as a professional soldier.

He witnessed the destruction of the foreign mercenary base in Jaworow near Lwow by a medium-range guided missile – and estimates that around half of the foreigners fled and made their way home via Polish territory. Instead, the Dane went to eastern Ukraine, where the toughest fighting is taking place, and fought in Mariupol, among other places. It was not stated whether he was still in the city at the time of the interview. Instead, “Jonas” describes having repeatedly witnessed the murder of Russian prisoners of war, which he condemned as a war crime and in which he denied any involvement. He expressly does not confirm that the troops loyal to Kyiv are willing to exchange prisoners:

“I had previously heard about a successful prisoner exchange and that was it – but bottom line? People are getting killed.”

He spoke to some of the Russian POWs before their execution, the mercenary said, including what he explained was an 18-year-old programmer:

“I can’t say what he told me here. But the next morning he was buried. Something like that won’t let you go.”

Despite the murders of unarmed prisoners committed by Ukrainian soldiers, “Jonas” wants to continue fighting on their side – because he sees the conflict as an attack on Europe. The allegedly experienced sniper boasts that he has killed several dozen Russian soldiers and expresses hope that he can still get into the triple digits. His father in Denmark is also proud of him.

The chairman of the Russian investigative committee, Alexander Bastrykin, announced on April 7 that the Danish mercenary’s statements about the murders of Russian prisoners of war by Ukrainian forces would be investigated. The committee will also look into determining the real name of the suspected sniper. The assumption also arises that it will also be checked whether the description of his performance is just showing off a mercenary or corresponds to reality, which should then result in an investigation against “Jonas” – if he is captured alive at all.

The inglorious case of a media star

Meanwhile, another figure gained much more media attention: the British mercenary Aiden Aislin, who had fought in the ranks of the Ukrainian armed forces against Russian troops, surrendered in Mariupol on April 13, 2022. This was reported by sources in the Russian military. The publications quote one of the fighter’s recent entries posted on his Twitter page:

“We have been doing our best to defend Mariupol for 48 days, but we have no choice but to surrender to the Russian troops. We have neither food nor ammunition. I hope this war will end soon.”

It’s worth noting that the 27-year-old Briton has made a name for himself across the UK. Many British newspapers, including the Times and the Daily Mail, had reported on him with unbridled admiration.

This attention was not accidental. It turned out that Aislin is not a professional soldier at all. Rather, he is a former social worker from the small town of Newark, Nottinghamshire. Eventually, instead of caring for the elderly, he decided to try his hand at real warfare.

He is said to have initially fought in Syria – as it is said, on the side of the Syrian Kurds against the terrorist militia Islamic State –. In mid-March 2022 he finally ended up in Ukraine with a group of “volunteers” “to fight Putin”. Aislin served in a Ukrainian naval infantry battalion – its soldiers recently surrendered in Mariupol, and he surrendered as well.

The British press couldn’t have gotten enough enthusiasm about the oh-so-brave warrior, who had made the decision to put the “Russian invaders” in their place. In numerous newspaper articles, the mercenary, also known by his Internet name CossackGundi, was even glorified down to the last drop of blood as a symbol for the fight against the “Russian invasion of Ukraine”. Aislin himself had encouraged this – in an interview the fortune hunter from the proverbial high horse told the Newark Advertiser: “I will never go into captivity.”

But despite his loudmouthed claims, the “traveller” from England was forced to lay down his arms and surrender. One war journalist commented, “Well, that went wrong.”

Aislin is reportedly the first British mercenary to surrender in Ukraine. However, there is no official confirmation of this information yet. Therefore circulates a video clip in the Russian Internet segment in which a very selfie-warrior-looking man is first asked about his Russian language skills – which he modestly rates as “50/50” – and then interrogated. With an accent that is most likely to be classified as Indian or Pakistani, the mercenary denies any participation in combat:

“Tell me: have you killed people?”

“I do not know.”

“Why not?”

“I didn’t fight.”

“Have people been killed before your eyes?”

“Uhhh…uhh…no.”

It remains to be determined whether the bump on the forehead of the self-proclaimed Cossack came from a sudden fall from his high horse.

The Russian Investigative Committee located presented a list of names of mercenaries who came to Ukraine from 47 countries to fight on the side of Kiev. There should be 600 names on this list. 200 mercenaries alone must traveled from Croatia – after a Croatian flag had been found flying in Melitopol, a military attaché from this country was summoned to the Russian Ministry of Defense at the beginning of March. At least another 600 were killed in late March/early April, and another 500 are believed to have fled the country wrote the newspaper Moskovsky Komsomolets with reference to the Russian military. But also at the beginning of March, Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelenskij announced on Instagram that no less than 16,000 “volunteers” from all over the world were expected in Ukraine to compensate for the high personnel losses of the troops loyal to Kyiv.

At the end of March, according to reconnaissance data, the number of mercenaries in Ukraine was a good 6,000 men from 62 countries. The Russian Foreign Ministry reported on April 13 that the facilities of the Ukrainian colleagues had become proverbial advertising bases for foreign adventurers, in violation of international law. And on April 15, according to the Russian military, 30 volunteers from a Polish military company were killed in a rocket attack in the village of Izyumskoye in the Kharkov region.

More on the subject – Media report: Acts of violence by the Ukrainian secret service and military against the civilian population

By blocking RT, the EU aims to silence a critical, non-pro-Western source of information. And not only with regard to the Ukraine war. Access to our website has been made more difficult, several social media have blocked our accounts. It is now up to all of us whether journalism beyond mainstream narratives can continue to be pursued in Germany and the EU. If you like our articles, feel free to share them wherever you are active. It’s possible because the EU hasn’t banned our work or reading and sharing our articles.



Source link